The pictures below give a flavour of 'Old Collingtree' and aim to convey a sense of how small the original hamlet was, how its character was formed by the many farms it served and how it has adapted to the building of the 'big house', the coming of the motorway and the arrival of many more 'villagers'. Many of the photographs from the 1950's onwards were taken by the late Jim Patrick who recorded life in Collingtree over many years.
The picture above is of 'The Grange' the home built by Pickering Phipps and later the home of the Sears family. The photograph was taken around the 1920's and is the view from the ornamental South Lawn (where Collingtree Primary School is now located.
More pictures will be added to this Gallery over time. Please pass on any comments, memories or further pictures you may have to the Administrator - see link 'About this site'
Hover cursor over pictures to show captions. Click to enlarge.
Gallery One - Village Locations
Gallery Two - More Village Locations
Gallery Three - The Village Room as Social Hub
First opened in 1896 as the Reading Room and later known as the Church Room, what we now call the Village Room has always been the centre for social events of every kind. This series of pictures records a production staged in 1935. Many of the names of those taking part will be familiar to older residents and by reference to the Programme notes, it may be possible to identify the characters they are playing. The photographs were contributed by Susan Crow.
Gallery Four - Collingtree Grange. Sale details 1952
Following the death of Mrs Caroline Sears, Collingtree Grange was put up for sale by Auction. The Solicitors were Messrs. Becke, Green & Stopps of 3 Spencer Parade Northampton. The Auctioneers were Messrs. Jackson-Stopps & Staff of 20 Bridge Street Northampton. The Auction was held at the Angel Hotel, Northampton on Friday 5th December 1952. The pictures and captions below are taken from the Auction Brochure.
Gallery Five - Collingtree Village Fete
A Garden Fete held at The Grange, the home of the Sears family, in 1918, set the pattern for a continuing tradition of Village Fetes and Celebrations. The photos below are from the those taken by the late Jim Patrick together with others supplied by Agnes Barfoot.
The Friends of St Columba's revived the tradition with a Village Fete in the garden of the Wooden Walls pub in 2013 Its aim was to recreate the atmosphere of that Edwardian forerunner in 1918.
The Friends of St Columba's revived the tradition with a Village Fete in the garden of the Wooden Walls pub in 2013 and its aim was to recreate the atmosphere of that Edwardian forerunner in 1918.